Love summer – love Stella Creek PYO cherries!
7 December 2013 Update: CLOSED SUNDAY 8 DECEMBER until………..??????
What a wonderful day of cherry picking for all those early birds who came to Stella Creek today, Saturday 7th! So many people picked to their heart’s content until about 2pm when there were no more ripe, red cherries. However many folk then discovered the delicious Vega, the white cherry which was picked until no more.
We are now out of ripe cherries so will be CLOSED ON SUNDAY 8 DECEMBER and will have to wait for the next varieties to ripen - Van, Bing but sadly no beautiful Summit!
We anticipate these varieties ripening in time for picking next Saturday 14 December but will not know until later in the week. Some latecomers were disappointed today as they missed out on the fun of picking so to be sure – the earlier the better! Again we won’t know if there is enough for Sunday picking until late in the day on Saturday.
As always when you come to Stella Creek you will be greeted in the Shed, given your buckets and shown to the section of the orchard where the ripe cherries are. There you will be met by a guide, usually Alan, who will show you how to select and pick the perfect cherry and protect the trees as well from any damage. You may have already watched the “training” video, or picked here previously, but it always helps to refresh and see the real action! Alan is very proud of his trees. He takes great care in producing quality fruit for you to enjoy and loves sharing his knowledge with all our visitors and to answer any questions you may have.
The fruit has not set well in orchards across South Australia and parts of Victoria so has produced a crop way down on expectations. We at Stella Creek are so fortunate & thankful to at least have some cherries to pick as other orchards do not. The crop is very light so we anticipate opening on specific days only. Many thanks to all who ventured up here when the two early varieties, Moss Early and Australise, were picked out very quickly and again today.
After a year of hard work pruning, fertilising, tending the orchards…… it is so disappointing for us but also for all of you who were anticipating another excursion through the beautiful Adelaide Hills to Stella Creek orchard to pick “bucket loads” of cherries. We hope still to see you during the season and will keep you updated here as the season progresses!
Alan & Merawyn Mayne
“Stella Creek” 178 Plummers Road, Forest Range….
DON’T STOP TIL YOU GET TO THE TOP!
WE ARE AT THE TOP OF THE HILL….up past the the big dam and more orchards then it’s Stella Creek on the right hand side!!The ‘Stella Creek’ black and cream sign is at the entrance.
PYO Cherries at Stella Creek
- The best time to pick is early in the day (before say 10.30am) as there are usually fewer people and you have the pick of the fruit (as more people pick, the closest ripe fruit is picked).
- The entrance fee is $5 for adults and $2 for children under 12.
- Do remember that what you pick you pay for and you take home. Only pick the quantity of cherries that you need! You are not picking for us!!
- During harvest it’s wonderful to see so many happy people here at Stella Creek. There are picnic spots for family gatherings & fun.
- The weekend sausage sizzle and the icecream too are always a great hit! Hopefully we will have them again this season. The wonderful Bruno at Hahndorf makes our to die for icecream. If you are ever in Hahndorf, make sure you stop in at Bruno’s shop. His icecream is truly wonderful!
- Always make sure you check availability before setting out to drive up here – we can be picked out of ripe fruit! As you know the weather plays a huge part so we will always update during the week – on our website & Facebook too!
- We look forward to welcoming you here at Stella Creek in season 2013.
Over the years we have had many ‘backpackers’ picking and packing here at Stella Creek and have enjoyed their company immensely. Unfortunately, at this time, we do not require labour as we are a “Pick Your Own” orchard. We are so sorry we are unable to provide work to the numerous overseas travellers who have enquired and wish you luck in your quest for work and your travels around Australia.